The Philippine government joined member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in condemning North Korea’s launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile towards the Sea of Japan.
President Ferdinand ”Bongbong” Marcos Jr. made the remark prior to his speech in the meeting of Asia Zero Emission Community (AZEC) leaders at the Prime Minister’s Office in Tokyo, Japan.
“We join Japan, together with the rest of the ASEAN, in condemning the continued threat that the launching [of] ballistic missiles by the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] represents,” Marcos said.
He further stressed that North Korea’s action would destabilize the region and the entire global community.
“As we speak on economic progress in our region, we found these aspirations on a peaceful and stable Indo-Pacific Region. So, such dangerous and provocative actions by the DPRK threaten and destabilize the region and the world,” he said.
A Reuters report said that North Korea has fired a ballistic missile off its east coast. The Japan’s defense ministry also said North Korea has fired what could be a ballistic missile.
The launch of missile came just hours after Pyongyang had fired a short-range ballistic missile on Sunday night as it condemned US-led military show of force including the arrival of a submarine in South Korea.
About 20 minutes after initially reporting the launch, the Japanese coast guard said the missile had already fallen. Initial reports said that it appeared to have fallen outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone.
All of North Korea’s ballistic missile activities are banned by United Nations Security Council resolutions, however, Pyongyang defends them as its sovereign right to self defense.—AOL, GMA Integrated News
Read more, click here: GMA News