The Department of Health (DOH) said Thursday there are now 88 fireworks-related injuries ahead of the New Year celebration, including a four-year old boy who accidentally ingested a watusi at home.
“Kasama sa mga bagong kaso ang unang kaso ng paglunok ng paputok: Isang 4 na taong gulang na batang lalaki mula sa Calabarzon ang aksidenteng nakalunok ng watusi sa bahay,” DOH said in a statement.
(One of the new cases is a four-year old boy from Calabarzon who accidentally ingested watusi at home.)
In case of watusi ingestion, the DOH advise the public to give around six to eight egg whites for kids and eight to 12 for adults. The victim should be brought immediately to an emergency room.
The DOH discouraged inducing the victim to vomit.
If watusi gets into the eyes, the DOH advised the victim to wash them for at least 15 minutes, keep them open, and immediately consult a doctor.
If it affected the skin, the Health Department said the victim should also wash the affected area for at least 15 minutes, take off the contaminated clothes, and go to a doctor.
If the watusi was inhaled, the victim should inhale clean and fresh air and also seek medical assistance.
The Health Department said 13 new cases of fireworks-related injuries were reported from 6:00 a.m., Wednesday, to 5:59 a.m.,Thursday. Of the cases, 10 involved male victims and 12 happened inside residences and on the street.
Five were injured by prohibited firecrackers.
The ages of the victims were from five to 49.
Most of the cases of fireworks-related injuries were reported in the National Capital Region with 31, followed by Central Luzon with 11, and Ilocos with 10.
These incidents mostly involved boga, five star, piccolo, and pla-pla, which are prohibited firecrackers, as well as whistle bombs, luces, and kwitis.
Of the 88 total cases, 52 were due to illegal firecrackers.—Joviland Rita/AOL, GMA Integrated News
Read more, click here: GMA News