A 5.7 magnitude earthquake was recorded off Occidental Mindoro past 1 a.m. on Monday, with the tremor felt in Metro Manila.
According to Phivolcs, the quake struck at 1:12 a.m., with its epicenter 23 kilometers northeast of Looc, Occidental Mindoro and at a depth of 74 kilometers.
These areas experienced the following intensities on the Phivolcs Earthquake Intensity Scale:
- Reported Intensities
- Intensity V – Tagaytay City; Amadeo, Cavite
- Intensity IV – Malolos City and Obando, Bulacan, City of Manila, Marikina City; San Mateo, Rizal, Las Pinas City; General Trias and Tanza, Cavite; San Juan City
- Intensity III – Quezon City; Pasig City; Makati City, City of Antipolo, Rizal; Valenzuela City
- Intensity II – Palayan City, Nueva Ecija
- Instrumental Intensity
- Intensity V – Tagaytay City
- Intensity I – Palayan City, Nueva Ecija
The quake and volcano monitoring agency said it expects damage and aftershocks.
A magnitude 4.5 aftershock 19 kilometers northeast of Looc was recorded at 1:40 a.m.
Fourteen minutes after the quake, a second, smaller quake of magnitude 2.9 was recorded at 1:26 a.m., 28 kilometers northeast of Looc.
Earthquake Information No.1
Date and Time: 27 Sep 2021 – 01:26 AM
Magnitude = 2.9
Depth = 085 kilometers
Location = 13.95N, 120.36E – 028 km N 25° E of Looc (Occidental Mindoro)https://t.co/ZKG1FBz2Qm pic.twitter.com/5jUadihS4f
— PHIVOLCS-DOST (@phivolcs_dost) September 26, 2021
About half an hour before the quake, at 12:39 a.m., a 2.6 magnitude quake was recorded near Calatagan, Batangas in around the same area. — BM, GMA News
Read more, click here: GMA News